Pierce Manufacturing Inc., an Oshkosh Corporation company, announced its Pierce Volterra zero-emissions pumper has won a 2022 Popular Science “Best of What’s New Award” in the category of Emergency Services and Defense. Each year, Popular Science editors vet thousands of candidates, ranging from advanced engineering to hyper-intelligent software, in search of the latest innovations that help improve lives worldwide. The Best of What’s New list is made up of 100 technologies and products from the past year which stood out in a remarkable way in the categories of aerospace, auto, engineering, entertainment, gadgets, health, and more.
“Our parent company, Oshkosh Corporation, is a technology industrial company and a leader in electrification, autonomy, active safety, and intelligent connected products,” said Eric Linsmeier, business unit director – electrical and software technology with Pierce Manufacturing. “Such a notable designation from a leading technology news source like Popular Science recognizes our commitment to developing electric vehicle solutions to help firefighters save lives and best serve their communities. The Volterra electric fire truck is one of our latest innovations, and it’s incredible to see such extensive support and a shared vision for where this technology will take the fire service in the coming years.”
Since the introduction in 2021 as the first electric fire truck in service in North America, Pierce has announced the placement of three Volterra zero-emissions pumpers into three communities, including the City of Madison, Wisconsin Fire Department, the City of Portland, Oregon Fire and Rescue, and Gilbert Fire and Rescue Department in Arizona. All locations represent vastly different climates, allowing Pierce to collect performance data for the vehicle in various environmental conditions.
What makes the Pierce Volterra electric fire truck innovative:
- The Pierce Volterra pumper was the first zero-emissions electric fire truck in service in North America.
- The technology supports municipalities’ growing environmental sustainability goals and agendas to reduce local carbon emissions.
- The Pierce Volterra pumper technology consists of a proprietary Oshkosh Corporation patented parallel-electric drive train featuring an electro-mechanical infinitely variable transmission which allows zero-emissions operation when powered by the integrated onboard batteries.
- The patented parallel-electric drive train can also be coupled to the internal combustion engine to provide continuous and uninterrupted power to the pumping system or drive system when needed for sustained long term pumping operations.
- The Pierce Volterra pumper’s exceptional operational range is tailored to a fire department’s needs and duty cycle for full-shift operation.
- Incorporates a fire station-based, all-encompassing vehicle charging infrastructure provided by an established nationwide energy supplier – offering a thorough, simple, and fast charging solution.
The Best of What’s New entry process ensures editors learn about the maximum number of technologies and products from companies, universities, laboratories, and government agencies.
“The Best of What’s New Awards are our way of celebrating the most exciting and groundbreaking innovations of the year. These awards highlight the revolutionary inventions which are helping to improve our daily lives, our society, and our planet,” said Popular Science Technology Editor Rob Verger. “From the future of air travel to revolutionary skin care products, and from sustainable outdoors equipment to game-changing gadgets, this year’s list is a thrilling mix which we’re proud to call the Best of What’s New.”
Over the next year, Pierce will continue developing and evaluating the Pierce Volterra electric vehicle to gain valuable exposure and insight into the operational environments the electric vehicle must withstand.
To read more news and exclusive features see our latest issue here.