Fire at Indian restaurant forces residents to evacuate

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email
Share on whatsapp
Share on print
Scottish Fire Engine close up

A host of residents have been forced to evacuate after a fire broke out in an Indian restaurant in Glasgow, Scotland.
It’s understood that no-one that was living in the four-storey tenement building was injured from the blaze, however road closures were aplenty as a result.
The Scottish Fire and Rescue service later confirmed that there were 10 fire appliances and two aerial appliance sent to the scene in order to extinguish the flames, which was never the junction with Kingarth Street.
First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, who is also the local MSP, tweeted about the incident and said that her thoughts with those impacted.
“My thoughts with those affected by the fire at Kebabish in my constituency,” Sturgeon tweeted. “@GovanhillBaths is open for anyone needing immediate shelter. Anyone who needs my assistance should get in touch in the normal ways.”
Shortly after the fire broke out, Austin Sheridan – the former Glasgow City Councillor – was on the scene, and was on hand to tweet about the incident.
Sheridan tweeted: “Bad Fire at Kebabish on Victoria Road in Govanhill. Staff had to break down close door next to it to warn residents of fire.”
Later, Sheridan added: “Emergency services must be commended on their response to the fire at Kebsbish on Victoria Road. Just by chance a CID police officer was passing by and assisted Kebabish staff with alerting residents in the building next to the shop of fire before the fire service arrived.”
In addition to this, Sheridan also stated that the fire had spread to some of the flats above the restaurant, and claimed the situation was “worse than I first thought”.
A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) spokesman was on hand to offer comment, and said: “The SFRS is currently in attendance at a large fire that has taken hold within a restaurant and is now affecting flats within an above four storey tenement building on Victoria Road, Glasgow.”

Subscribe to our newsletter

Don't miss new updates on your email