Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service

With over 40% of all accidental house fires starting in the kitchen, Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service firefighters are asking people to take extra care and take some simple precautions to prevent a kitchen fire in the home.

Throughout February, Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Service will be raising awareness of distractions and other risks that can increase the chance of a fire starting in the kitchen.

Prevention Station Manager Nathan Stevens said: “A fire in the home is a devastating event that can have far reaching and catastrophic consequences, yet many people still believe it could never happen to them and they aren’t aware of how quickly a fire can start in the kitchen.

“Between 2018 and 2019, Firefighters attended 400 accidental house fires, with 43% of these starting in the kitchen. With so many distractions in our homes, an unattended hob, a build-up of fat and grease, or simply a discarded tea towel can quickly lead to a fire if you take your eyeoff what’s happening.

“I would encourage everyone to take a minute to follow our top tips for preventing a kitchenfire and to ensure everyone in your home is safe.”

Top tips for preventing a fire in your kitchen:

  • Take pans of the heat, or turn the hob off if leaving the room.
  • Avoid leaving children alone in the kitchen when cooking is on the hob.
  • Keep tea towels, cloths and other flammable materials away from the cooker hob.
  • Double check the hob is off when you’ve finished cooking.
  • Keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order. A build-up of fat and grease can ignite a fire.
  • Use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer. They can’t overheat.
  • Never cook after enjoying a drink or two – it’s easy to fall asleep while the cooker or hob is left on.
  • Ensure you test your smoke alarms weekly.
  • Ensure you have a pre-planned and practiced escape plan in case fire breaks out in your home. .

    What to do if a pan catches fire:

  • Don’t take any risks. If it is safe to do so, turn the heat off – never throw water over it.
  • Don’t tackle the fire yourself – Get Out, Stay Out and Call 999.

    For more information about keeping safe in the home visit www.derbys-fire.gov.uk

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *